Monthly Archives: July 2015
We’ve almost reached our target – only £2400 to go for our beautiful window to be back in place
Longworth Chapel’s most significant feature is the East window, a fine example of Hardman & Co. stained glass.
Hardman & Co., founded in 1838, became one of the world’s leading stained glass manufacturers. The fruitful collaboration between Hardman, ANW Pugin and later his son Edward, helped to cement their reputation. The Longworth window was created during the firm’s heyday in the 1860s and 1870s. It has been described by a specialist as ‘of exceptional quality’.
The fragile window was removed for safe-keeping whilst funds were raised for its conservation and reinstatement.
The total cost of the conservation and reinstatement of the window and the repair of the stonework is £32,655.
Historic Chapels Trust has already raised £30,355 from Historic England and private donors and we are all working hard to raise the rest of the funds we need.
The chapel was originally dedicated to St James. The chapel is still used for an annual Mass. This year the Most Reverend George Stack Archbishop of Cardiff will again be the Celebrant assisted by members of the community at Belmont Abbey. Donations were made towards our window appeal at this year’s service, which was officiated by His Grace the Archbishop of Cardiff, assisted by the Abbot of Belmont accompanied by Brother Bernard and Brother Augustine.
Please help us to raise the £2300 that is still needed to enable us to conserve and reinstate the window, which is the glory of the chapel. Please do make a contribution – no matter how little.
Longworth Chapel was acquired by Historic Chapels Trust in 2001. Historic Chapels Trust rescues redundant Nonconformist and Roman Catholic places of worship. HCT is a Registered Charity (No. 1017321).
Help us to restore Longworth Chapel so it can be used by the local community.